Our client is a global leader in the financial services industry that offers full-stack payments & financial services to consumers, online merchants, and online platforms.
The VP, Engineering will be the founding engineering executive of the Company's US business. This leader has the incredible opportunity and awesome responsibility to build upon the Company's existing full-stack payments platform to architect and design next-level product innovation for the US payments industry. Building on the Company's existing solutions, the VP, Engineering will work closely with the EVP & General Manager, US Market, VP, US Product Development, and the broader global team to define and execute on the Company's US product roadmap while also building a world-class US team of sales, engineering, and product professionals.
If you have dreamed of a role that enables you to be in the driver’s seat of building a business along with an all-star team to deliver market breaking products, this is your chance. You will be working in a fast-paced, ambitious, and purpose-driven environment, supported by a global team of innovators and change-makers.
Leading the entirety of the US product engineering effort, you must be highly ambitious with a major inclination toward action. The Company's massive success comes from a culture focused on speed, low ego, no hierarchy, and drive to continuously chase the “why?”. You must thrive in ambiguity and tackle every opportunity or challenge with a “can-do” attitude. You will be joining an engineering organization that continues to defy what others believe is possible.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Act as a champion, co-creator and technical thought leader for the US business internally and externally. Demonstrate leadership, expertise, innovation, vision, and the company values in all actions.
- Partner with the the Company's executive leadership team and key stakeholders across the business to build US market product strategies. Act as a hands-on technologist to lead and design scalable US market solutions utilizing the Company's existing technology stack.
- Balance short-term versus long-term actions, strategic versus tactical requirements, while continuing to move forward toward the strategic vision.
- Drive innovation in product to constantly remain ahead of the curve.
- Develop and build a diverse and talented engineering team to support the company’s success, driving the creation of a culture aligned with the values of the Company. Provide strong and credible leadership, setting a unified direction for the team to follow.
- Ensure the engineering team is a proactive partner and innovator in driving US product execution by thinking critically about business problems, developing easy-to-implement solutions, and clearly communicating them to business partners.
- Collaborate with cross-functional and cross-country teams to solve complex problems and build products spanning across multiple teams, time-zones and cultures to deliver end-to-end products & features.
- Lead the day-to-day progress of solution(s) and engineering initiatives, including all aspects of time, budget, scope, and quality.
- Aggressively estimate efforts, identify risks, and devise and meet project schedules.
- Implement high quality technical reporting and an accurate scheduling process. Facilitate and lead the engineering team’s communication and negotiation of cost, schedule, and technical budgets.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent is required, a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years progressive software engineering leadership experience and a proven track record of successfully designing and developing SaaS solutions is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of the trade-offs between business goals and technical imperfection, capable of finding the optimal mix of solutions to meet the demands of the market.
- Possess an extreme bias toward action and ability to work with high-energy in a fast-paced work environment is required.
- Experience building and leading a multi-disciplinary engineering team which delivers high quality, consistent, and tangible results is required.
- Perceived as a thought leader and mentor to the engineering team on technical, architectural, design and other related issues. A successful candidate enjoys being a mentor and the process of spreading knowledge around and learning from others.
- Proven experience working directly with the senior leadership of an organization as a technical advisor in which keen business acumen, understanding of financials, profit and loss, customer segmentation and market trends as it relates to product development and innovation is required.
- Excellent data structure, algorithm and problem-solving skills is required.
- Experience and knowledge of open-source tools & frameworks, boarder cutting edge technologies around server-side development is required.
- Proven ability to collaborate broadly across all levels of a highly matrixed organization to achieve results with cross-functional teams, including with internal and external customers, peers and executive leaders is required.
WHAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE IN THE FIRST YEAR
- Learn the Company's products and personally own all aspects of US product engineering success. Establish strong rapport and credibility with the Company's global leadership team and other key stakeholders, becoming a trusted advisor for US market.
- Working alongside the EVP & General Manager, US Market and Product Development team, move quickly to identify the key market opportunities and customer segment “sweet spot” to introduce the Company's product(s) to the US market. Aggressively develop and execute the engineering plan, prioritizing speed and adjusting as you go.
- Drive early micro-wins to prove feasibility of US product strategy.
- Lead and build out Salt Lake City based engineering team.
WHO YOU ARE
- You thrive in a fast-paced, start-up tech environment and can rise above the chaotic environment to deliver results.
- You excel in situations in which you must operate with partial information and ambiguity. You are a continuous learner and more afraid of inaction than failing.
- You ooze passion, ownership, and a love of building great things and solving tough problems with the brightest minds around you.
- You are ambitious and build roads where others do not see a path, and as a result are constantly raising the bar.
- You are a self-driven leader who holds themselves and their team accountable. Can work well with minimal guidance and in a fluid environment.
- You are excited by challenges and are ready for a big one.
- You transcend titles and hierarchies, instead you focus on breaking down barriers to ensure success of the team and business.
- You are a leader with the proven ability to lead and motivate a team of direct or indirect professionals. You inspire trust and set an example of integrity and ownership.
- You demonstrate superior organization, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Able to effectively explain complex principles and systems.
- Able to negotiate with internal or external customers using strong interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
Applicants must currently reside in the United States.